Sunday 15 October 2023

Back from the Wilderness.

Kia ora (hello) everyone. 

Shock - horror, I'm back with a new post! It's been 6 months (almost exactly) since I've written on the blog, and I'd like to say I've been too busy with photography to post. But that would be a lie.

I've been busy alright. But not with photography.

Family life has been very busy, and somewhat stressful, but it looks like I may be climbing out of some darkness and into the light. I won't go into great detail, but I will say that part of the reason (a very large part) for my lack of posting and photography has been my work situation. I started a new job at the beginning of this year, but it hasn't gone so well. That's the bad news.

The good news is that I have found a new job, and a change of career! And this is, in a very large way, the reason for this post (on photography - yes, I AM getting there 😄)

Hagley Park, Christchurch. Panasonic Lumix S5 with 20-60mm f3.5/5.6. f8 @ 1/30th, ISO 400

I finish my old job this week (as I write this), and start the new one two weeks later. So that gives me a two week break in-between jobs. My wife and I have decided to take the opportunity to go away on holiday - which means lots of photography! Yay!!!!

This is a big deal for us, since we don't tend to go on many dedicated holidays. It has, in fact, been about 25 years since we went away on holiday together - just us alone - and that was our honeymoon! But even then, we stayed with friends in Australia, so it wasn't really 'on our own'. So yes, it's been a while.

I'm also suffering from a bit of 'local landscape lethargy' if I'm honest - which even the purchase of a brand new camera couldn't overcome. I've written about this in the past here and here. What I really need to give my photography juices a boost, is a good holiday! A change of scene. A different view that will inspire me to use the camera. And that's exactly what this trip will offer. And I can't wait!

Spidey Boy! Panasonic Lumix S5 with Lumix S 20-60mm. f/5.6 @ 1/4000th, ISO 400

We are going to take a trip down the eastern side of the South Island, through Ashburton, to end up at Mosgiel. From there we will explore the city of Dunedin and maybe travel one day to Invercargill. We plan to go to The Moeraki Boulders, Larnach Castle and the Dunedin Chinese Gardens, as well as The Church of the Good Shepherd at Lake Tekapo and check out the steampunk themed town of Oamaru. These are areas of New Zealand that my wife and I have never really explored. To say I'm excited is an understatement!

So yes, there is photography - lots of photography - coming to this blog in the very near future.

No guesses on what gear I'll be taking. Unlike other times when I may have had a few systems or configurations to choose from, I now have just the one - awesome - system. And I will probably stick to just the one camera/lens combination. The S5 with the Lumix S 20-60mm f/3.5-5.6 will be a fantastic travel kit that I'm sure I will use 99% of the holiday. But I will take the 50mm f1.8, just in case....

Finally new content going forwards. And a chance to really get to know my Panasonic Lumix S5.  Happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on this post. I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks again
Wayne