Monday 19 July 2021

Wild weather, second thoughts and possible issues...

The South Island of New Zealand experienced a major weather system this weekend (as I write this), with rain levels reaching red alert. To put this into perspective, this was only the third red alert warning the weather authority had ever issued - with flooding, slips, road closures and evacuations expected. All of which occurred.

Here on the West Coast, the town of Westport in the Buller Region (where I grew up) was the worst hit, with thousands of people evacuated from their homes by the NZ Army. Many of those homes were flooded, and so now the long - and expensive - rebuilding process begins.

Fortunately, for us here in Greymouth, the rain didn't cause any major flooding. The town has a history of flooding from the Grey River, since the town was originally designed around the wharf area. In 1986 the Grey River flooded the town twice in as many months, and the town had finally had enough. A 'floodwall' was erected, which has since been heightened, and the town hasn't flooded since.

Blaketown Breakwater. Olympus OM-D E-M1 with Zuiko 12-50mm EZ. f/6.3 @ 1/250th, ISO 1600

That's all very interesting, I hear you say. But what's it got to do with photography? Very good question. And although a weather event such as the one I've just described would certainly create some compelling photographs, I didn't go out and take any (although some did). I've mentioned a few times on this blog that I'm not really a 'go out and take photos in the pouring rain' type of guy. And I'm not. As the relentless rain pounded on our town, I stayed as warm and dry as possible inside. So did my camera gear.

But.... after every good storm, there is always a calm. And that's when I like to go out and photograph. The calm before, and after, every storm gives the most amazing light if you are a landscape photographer. I'm not a photojournalist who wants to be out where the action is. I'm a landscape photographer who chases the light. And fortunately, true to form, the sunset on the Sunday night once the storm had passed, looked like it was going to be impressive.

Sunset after the Storm. OM-D E-M1 with Zuiko 12-50mm EZ. f/6.3 @ 1/500th, ISO 1600

Of course, after such a massive storm event, the other thing that's going to be impressive is the surf. So when my wife suggested I go out and take some photos of what could turn out to be an impressive sunset (thanks honey), I knew that I wanted to return to the Blaketown Tiphead. Not only does this give the perfect vantage point for sunsets at this time of year, but there would be plenty of wave action to capture as well.

And as you can see from the images that accompany this post, I wasn't disappointed.

Unfortunately, there is another aspect of the evening's photography with which I am, very much, disappointed. And it has to do, sadly, with my camera!

Sight Seeing. OM-D E-M1 with Zuiko 12-50mm EZ. f/6.3 @ 1/80th, ISO 1600

No, it's not the fact that I've done it again and inadvertently shot all these images at ISO 1600 (although that does hack me off and I really need to remember to check before shooting)! Unfortunately it's a little more serious that that. But let me back-up a bit first before I explain my problem...

Over the last week or two, I've been considering selling my micro four thirds gear and going back to a DSLR. Yeah, I know. Surprise, surprise. But hang on, because there is method to my madness.

I'm not going to go into detail, but my wife and I have been struggling financially over the last couple of years. We've gone down to only one income, have bills to pay, and it would be quite nice to eat as well. Our money worries have lead both of us to sell off a few items, just so we could afford groceries for the week, and it doesn't look like getting much better anytime soon.

I've never been afraid of using 'old' tech when it comes to cameras - although I recently made the decision to sell all my film cameras and old film stocks. Film is just too expensive when you are on a very tight budget - and we needed the money. But I have also said repeatedly on this blog and other channels, that the digital cameras we drooled over ten years ago (and that cost a small fortune back then), don't stop working just because a newer model comes out. Yes, we do make impressive advancements from time to time. But mostly it's just incremental upgrades. And we certainly don't need all the tech that these companies tell us we do to create great photographs.

I've also stated over the years my love for Nikon. Especially some of the 'older' cameras like the D200, D300, D90 etc. It just so happens that you can get these cameras now for almost nothing. In fact, these older digital cameras are cheaper than most secondhand film cameras! I kid you not!

I already happen to have a Nikon D70 - a 6MP Methuselah of a camera from 2004, with a Nikkor 18-55mm kit lens. For around $200 I could get a Nikon D90, or D200 body to go with it - and for another $150 could probably get a 55-200mm kit lens as well. So for about $350NZ I could have a Nikon DLSR kit with lens coverage from 18-200mm. And If I really wanted to splurge, I'm sure I could pick up a Nikon Speedlight for about $150 as well.

You can probably see where I'm going with this?

Watching the Waves. OM-D E-M1 with 12-50mm EZ. f/6.3 @ 1/30th, ISO 1600

And that's exactly where I was going. Until I had a quick rethink, and a slight change of mind. Yes, we need the money. And yes, if I sold all my Olympus gear and picked up some Nikon gear instead I could probably have around $500NZ left to live on for a few weeks. But I really am loving using the E-M1 (or was, hold that thought) and really don't want to have to change.

To make matters worse (or better, depending on how you look at it), towards the end of last week somebody posted on an NZ Facebook group I belong to, that they were selling their Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 lens. At a ridiculously good price. I messaged them, and long story short, he is holding the lens for me for a couple of weeks while I get the money together. 

So yes, I am selling some of my Olympus gear - but not for the reason I originally intended. Although if everything I've put online sells, then I will have some money left over that we can use to live on for a week or two. So that's it then, right?

Groundswell. OM-D E-M1 with 12-50mm EZ. f/11 @ 2 secs, ISO 200. ICM

If only it were that simple... (it never is).

I said above that I'm loving using the E-M1. And I am. But...(sigh), recently I've noticed that the rear control dial seems to be less responsive than I'd like. It seems to be 'sticking' or missing some clicks, so that when I go to change the exposure compensation (which is what I have it set to) it will miss a few clicks before it starts to respond and change the value. Damn!

I've done some research (online obviously), and it would appear that this is a 'thing' with the original E-M1. And it will probably only get worse over time, until the wheel ceases functioning altogether. Double damn!

I purchased it secondhand, last year (October) from a very reputable camera store - but even so, I'm fairly sure they only give a 3 month 'warranty' with their secondhand goods (which is fairly standard). So I'm way out of the warranty period. I did email them last night and let them know I was having this issue, that it's a known fault, and that I purchased last October. I also asked if they have a repair guy they use, and how much they think it might cost. I'll see what they say when they get back to me.

I don't expect them to honor a warranty that has already lapsed - but I do know that they just happen to have another secondhand E-M1 body in stock. Maybe - just maybe - they might consider sending me that unit instead if I return mine?

But then again... if it's a 'known' issue with the E-M1, is it likely to happen to the other unit as well? And if so, how comfortable will I be using the camera if I'm always expecting the rear control dial to one day give up the ghost!? Triple damn!

And that get's me thinking again - back to my original thoughts. Because I also know they happen to have a Nikon D90 body and a couple of D200 bodies, going cheaply. Would they consider swapping the E-M1 out for one of them? The more I think about it, the more my head starts to hurt. And since they don't actually have to do anything to help me from a legal point of view, I may end up with an E-M1 that I'm not happy using? Quadruple damn!

Because this is a known issue, there are people online who have 'fixed' it themselves. This, of course, requires taking the camera apart a little to access the control dial in question, and then apply a good dose of electrical lubricant. Those who have performed this surgery say that it has worked really effectively, and that it isn't as difficult as it looks. I guess if it came down to it, I'd give it a go myself. But I'd rather not have to.

I'd be happy to move back to Nikon - I really would. But I'd rather not have to. But I'd also rather not use a camera that had me on edge every time I used the rear control dial. Which I use a LOT. So I guess I'll wait and see what the camera store's reply is before making any decision going forwards? In the meantime, I do have a lot of my Olympus gear up for sale, so that I can afford to get the Lumix 12-35mm f2.8. The timing is, perhaps, prophetic?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on this post. I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks again
Wayne