Wednesday 6 April 2022

Time to rethink things a little...

Ok, so I got Covid...

Millie. Sony a57 with SAL18250

I'm just coming out of the worst of it now, and feel sufficiently 'human' enough to be able to sit down and write this. But it's taken over a week.

I won't say it's the worst I've ever felt in my life - I've been worse. And I guess being triple-vaccinated against it helped (at least I hope it did). But still, it wasn't great.

How did I get it? Well, the adorable little bundle of fluff pictured opposite had 'something' to do with it. And BTW - she might look adorable, but don't let that fool you. My wife and I are deciding whether she is the devil's spawn or not at the moment!

Anyway, since we do now have her, we had to fence our back section so she could roam around. A builder friend (hi Ian) said he would come over last weekend and give me a hand building one - and long story-short, Ian had Covid. And passed it on to me...

So while I was convalescing and feeling sorry for myself, it gave me time to mull over my last few posts. It also gave me time to rethink my current kit - in light of those posts - and the possible ramifications going forwards. Whatever that means...?

I'm rambling. I'm delirious. I'm recovering from Covid. Let me see if I can make something coherent out of all this head-space mess - shall we?

First - my continuing thoughts around full frame. I had assumed, now that I am using (and enjoying) the Sony system, that I would 'upgrade' to a full frame Sony mirrorless. Something like the a7ii. These can be found fairly regularly now for around $1400NZ on the second hand market. Sony are the king of full-frame mirrorless and dominate that space with the a7 line, so it was a natural decision to make. Well done me 😄

And then I tried one. And I wasn't blown-away using one. In fact, just the opposite really. Enter the first roadblock. Yet, undeterred, the 'research' continued.

Then I realised that, for not much more $$, I might even be able to get a brand new mirrorless full-frame camera! Something like the Canon EOS RP that retails for $1985.00NZ body-only. Even these are beginning to appear on the used market, which means even more savings can be had. 

Notice, however, how the above price is for 'body-only'. Getting a decent lens for the Canon R system, even second hand, is not a cheap prospect. Even the 50mm f1.8 RF lens is over $400NZ new. So maybe 'new' isn't the way to go?

And maybe mirrorless isn't the way to go full-frame either?

Both Canon and Nikon have been producing full-frame DSLR's for over ten years now. Plenty of time for the second-hand market to see its fair share of full frame offerings. In Canon there is the famous 5D line of cameras, as well as the 6D (Mk 1 and II). 5D Mk 3's and 6D Mk1's can be found online for even less than a Sony a7ii body. They even often include a lens, a grip, and spare batteries! 

The same is true with Nikon - where D600s, D700s and D800s are regularly turning up on TradeMe. Especially now that their owners are switching to the new mirrorless systems.

So yes, there's a plethora of great full-frame DSLR's to choose from now. In fact you could argue that it's the perfect time to be 'getting into' a full frame system.

But then... THEN... maddeningly, annoyingly, frustratingly, there is a part of my brain that says "Why bother? Why go full frame at all? What's really so bad with APS-C?" (Or micro four thirds for that matter).

What's so bad, for example, with a Fujifilm XT-2, with grip, and Fujinon 18-55mm XF lens - available on auction here in New Zealand as I write this, for only $875.00! Yes please! I'll have some of that!

That would be an incredible mirrorless kit, at a fraction of the full frame price. And I have to say, I'm sorely tempted! Because lets face it, there's nothing bad with APS-C. Especially for what I do, what I need it to do, and what I might want it to do in the future. And the Fujifilm system is an amazing eco-system to get into. Much better, it could (easily) be argued, than the now defunct Sony A-mount system I find myself a part of. Why, oh why (part of my brain bemoans) am I still not shooting Fujifilm? The XT-2 with grip looks right up my alley!

And then... THEN... strangely, weirdly, uncontrollably, I go on to TradeMe (our internet auction site here in NZ) and add a Sony flash and leather grip to my existing a57 kit! At the same time that I have put the Sony SAL75300 and Sony SAL18250 lenses online to sell! 

Because there is another part of my brain (how many parts do I actually have!?) that keeps saying to me "Be content with what you have. There's nothing wrong with the images you're getting out of the a57. Use what you've got and stop looking elsewhere!"

And I would agree with that part of my brain. It is, after all, the same part that convinced me to get the a57 in the first place. And yes, on many levels, the a57 (or at least the Sony SLT system) is my 'ideal' system. I love the feeling of an SLR style body. It just feels so right in the hand. Tick for the a57. I also love an evf, and seeing all my information, histogram and changes through the viewfinder while I compose the image. Another tick for the a57. I love an articulating screen and a good live-view implementation when I'm shooting landscapes. Tick again. In fact, it's the only system that ticks all these boxes - apart, maybe, from the Panasonic micro four thirds cameras that are designed to feel like a DSLR.

Why, then, have I put two lenses up for sale? Well, it was an easy decision getting rid of the 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 - it's just not a great lens. I got it for birding and extreme telephoto images, but based on my testing of this lens, it's not likely that I will ever use it. It's just never sharp enough (for me). Selling the 18-250mm was a tougher decision, since it's actually a decent performer up to 100mm, and a great travel lens. But I also have those focal lengths covered with other (better) lenses, so really I'm just giving up the convenience factor. And with the money I hope to get from selling them both, I might look at getting a Sony 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G SSM to replace the SAL75300? Should be a much better lens.

So no, I haven't given up on my a57, or the Sony SLT a-mount system  - just yet at least. And I may not give up on it at all? Full frame might remain just a philosophical thought - for the time being 😆 I really am going crazy....

1 comment:

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on this post. I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks again
Wayne