Thursday 7 April 2022

Sony SLT a57 review

Despite what I have written recently about my desire to move to a full-frame sensor, my journey with the Sony APS-C a57 A-mount camera system continues.

Call it the ravings of a delusion mad-man (I have just recently had Covid) or the sad musings of a hopeless GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome) addict if you like. I don't mind. It's probably both.

Yet despite my recent obsession with full frame, I have also concurrently been growing and developing my skills (and accessories) with the a57 DSLT.

It has come with me on my last two landscape outings (I've made myself leave the a99 at home), and I have - for the most part - enjoyed using it as a landscape camera. The camera has a lot of things going for it that I like, and a few that I don't like.

I have owned, and used, probably hundreds of different cameras over the last 35+ years. So I don't need to spend months getting to 'know' a system before giving my thoughts on it. I know what I like, and don't like, about a camera after shooting with it a couple of times. So what follows is my review of the Sony a57 - from my perspective. What I mean by that is simple - but deserves to be stated. I'm not a fast action sports, wildlife, product or portrait photographer - I'm a landscape photographer (mainly). So that will be where I place all of the emphasis on my thoughts and opinions. I don't shoot video, so I'm not even going to mention its video capabilities. And I don't need 20fps. So if you want to know what the a57 is like for sports photography, you may need to look elsewhere. Nuff said.

Cobden Beach Sunset. Sony a57 with SAL18250mm. f/11 @ 1/8th sec, ISO 100

Having got that out of the way and off my chest, what do I think of the Sony a57 as a landscape camera? Well mostly, it's positive. Mostly the a57 and me get along just fine out in the field, and it is creating some very fine landscape images. So yes, generally, my experiences and feelings towards the camera have been good.

It is an all polycarbonate body, that isn't weather-sealed - so in one respect that's a tick against it for a landscape photographer. And if you are the kind of landscape photographer who loves to be out in howling gales, getting you and your gear completely battered by the elements, then no, the a57 probably isn't for you.

I'm not that guy. I don't actively look to shoot in bad weather. In fact I actively avoid it. You don't have to shoot in the pouring rain to get moody and atmospheric landscapes. So I don't. I have occasionally been caught in a downpour when out photographing, so I put my gear away. I'm pretty sure that the a57, even though not weather-sealed, could handle exposure to a quick downpour. So no, I'm not bothered by it's all polycarbonate non-weather sealed body. Your mileage may vary.

Rapahoe Beach, West Coast. Sony a57 with SAL18250. f/11 @ 1/3rd sec, ISO 100. Grad ND filter

What I do appreciate about the Sony a57's polycarbonate body is that it is relatively light (yet with a decent heft) and relatively small. In fact, it's something of a 'goldilocks' camera for me in terms of its weight and size. It's bigger than the a55 that preceded it, fits perfectly in my hand without the need for an extra grip, and has excellent fit and finish. Nothing creaks or flexes (that shouldn't creak or flex) and all the buttons are in logical places.

My one gripe, maybe, around button placement, is to do with the positioning of the exposure compensation and ISO buttons directly behind the shutter button. They can require a bit of finger-gymnastics to reach, especially if you keep the camera up to your eye and want to do it by 'feel'.

And yet I say 'maybe' because it's really only a gripe when using the camera hand-held. When the camera is on a tripod - which it will be for 90% of my landscape shooting - then the issue goes away. It's also not an issue when shooting in manual mode, which I am also doing 90% of the time now. In full manual I set the appropriate ISO and then leave it, and of course don't use the exposure compensation button at all. Exposure is controlled instead by varying the shutter speed from the excellently placed front dial.

Rapahoe Beach, low tide. Sony a57 with SAL18250. f/8 @ 2.5secs, ISO 100. Grad ND filter

So yes, I'm very happy with the overall handling of the Sony a57 when out in the field. Especially for a more 'enthusiast' mid-level camera.

Except... for the articulating LCD screen. At 920,000 dots it's clear enough, and seems reasonably colour accurate (enough for me anyways). And it is an articulated screen. But therein lies the 'slight' problem. Because it articulates downwards, and not sideways (see the image of the camera on my tripod above). Since the screen angles down, the tightening mechanism on the universal ball head I'm using gets in the way of the full articulation. I've got around this by reverse-mounting the camera to the ball head, so that I now tighten the mount from the front of the camera. This works, but it means I've had to re-learn which way around to use the ball head. A minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.

Also, a quick word on the 1.4million dot evf. No, it's not the most modern out there. And yes, it's an RGB sequential device and not OLED. Some people have complained of  'tearing' of the image as they look around the display. But I haven't noticed this at all. And I find the viewfinder big, bright and perfectly fine to use. So no, no issues there.

Golden Hour, Cobden Beach. Sony a57 with SAL18250mm. f/11 @ 1/100th, ISO 100

At the end of the day, what do we really care about though? That's right IQ (image quality). And really, the Sony a57 doesn't disappoint here either. Some will say that it's 'only' 16MP - and APS-C at that. But it's an excellent 16MP Sony sensor, with very good dynamic range, and the resulting RAW images have a decent latitude for post-processing. I'm very pleased that the native ISO is 100 (as opposed to 200 on my Olympus cameras) - it just feels right shooting at ISO 100. The files are clean (noise free) at base ISO, and 'useable' up to 3200 or even 6400. For what I do, which at the moment at least is 99% web-based, the 16MP sensor in the Sony a57 is MORE than enough.

I don't crop hard on the computer - preferring to do all my cropping in-camera (or at least as much as I can). So quite frankly, more than 16Mp is probably a waste. And yes, I do understand the irony of that statement given my last few posts.

Would I prefer it had the 24MP full-frame glorious sensor in the a99? Yes, of course I would. But do I need a 24Mp full frame sensor? No, I do not... 

Rapahoe inlet. Sony a57 with SAL18250. f/11 @ 30 seconds, ISO 100. Grad ND filter

As befits a 21st century camera, the a57 is packed with whiz-bang techno stuff that I will never ever use. Panoramic sweep mode (in 2D and 3D - whatever that means), auto portrait framing, clear image zoom (apparently), numerous creative colour modes (for jpeg-only), lens correction - the list goes on.

The technology that I will use comes in the form of in-body image stabilisation (Sony call it 'Steady Shot') and full-time phase detection AF (due to the translucent mirror technology). Most of the time, if I'm using a tripod, the Steady Shot will be (should be) turned off. You don't need to stabilise a camera on a tripod. But I like the fact that image stabilisation is built into the body itself. This means that every lens you attach - even old Minolta lenses - are image stabilised.

The phase detect AF seems reliable and quick - certainly quick enough for landscapes. I'm also sure that it's quick enough for most other forms of photography too - with the exception of motorsport? The only other complaint I have with the a57 (although 'complaint' might be too strong a word - maybe 'niggle' is better) is with the AF points. There are 15 of them, in the same pattern as in the a99, which doesn't offer a very wide coverage. It's certainly not edge-to-edge like I'm used to with the Olympus system. There's no 'touch' to focus (it's not a touchscreen at all), and so AF is somewhat limited to the central portion of the image. Having said that, the same is true of the a99 as well, so it's not just an a57 issue. And again, manual focusing will get around this issue, especially for landscape work.

Rapahoe bonfire. Sony a57 with SAL18250.  f/11 @ 4 secs, ISO 100

Fortunately, manual focusing implementation is very good on the a57, as it is now with most modern digital cameras. The a57 has image magnification and focus peaking to aid in manual focusing, so nailing focus over the entire image area couldn't be easier.

Really, what's not to like? Battery life is very good (around 550 shots per charge using the lcd screen), the menu system makes sense and is easy to navigate, handling is (mostly) excellent, and IQ is stellar for a 16MP camera.

Overall, the Sony a57 makes for an excellent landscape photography camera and is a joy to use. I also get the feeling that I have yet to see it reach its full potential. My first few weeks with the camera have seen me use it exclusively with the SAL75300 and SAL18250 lenses - both of which aren't stellar performers. The 18-250 is ok, especially at the wide end for landscapes. But I have yet to try it with the Minolta 17-35mm f3.5 G lens that I've had paired with the a99. I may find that using this lens on the a57 bumps the IQ up a notch or two? It will be interesting to see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on this post. I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks again
Wayne