Thursday 27 January 2011

Nikkor 50mm f1.4D

I weakened, and I bought one.

Yes, I know I've already got the 50mm f1.8D. And yes, I love it, and use it all the time.

But... I've always been curious about the F1.4D version. It's supposed to be much better built than the f1.8 (although to be fair that wouldn't be hard), and given than it's three times the price, then it damn well should be!

More importantly, it's also supposed to be sharper than the f1.8 (at the wider f1.8 to f2.8 apertures, and with much creamier/smoother bokeh.
That's the stuff that really interests me.

I love my Nikkor f1.8D - and the f1.4D is supposedly all that, and more! Hey, I'm up for that.

I'm not interested in the 'newer' f1.4'G' series lens. By all accounts it's slightly slower focusing than the f1.4D - and I just don't like the way the newer 'G' primes look. Too smooth and sculptured. They just look too plasticky. I much prefer the aesthetics of these 'older' lenses. Oh and yeah, the 'G' lens is also about double the price! No thank you.

I'll let you know what I think after the lens arrives, and probably even do a quick comparison with the f1.8D since I'll have both fast 50's together at the same time. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on this post. I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks again
Wayne