Monday 30 September 2019

And then there was one - the X-E2!

Well, it is indeed official. I am now a complete Fujifilm X shooter! And the winner once the dust had all settled? Ok, it's no surprise if you've been following along (or if you've read the title). I've kept the X-E2.

Lone Tree, West Coast. Fujifilm X-T1 and Fujinon 16-50mm XC. f/5.6 @ 1/320th, ISO 200 
In my last post I talked about using the X-T1, and the things I didn't like about its ergonomics. After picking it up for the first time I knew I probably wasn't going to keep it - which was something of a surprise to me. It's positives didn't outweigh its negatives (for me at least), and the fact that it has exactly the same sensor as in the X-E2 didn't help its chances of me keeping it. So it's gone.

Lake Mahinapua reeds. Nikon D300 with Nikkor 17-80mm. f/11 @ 1/6th sec, ISO 200
In another recent post, I took my other recent purchase, the Nikon D300, out for a trip to Lake Mahinapua. I enjoyed the experience of shooting with the DSLR (see the post here), and got some decent images on the morning despite the overcast conditions. I finished that post by saying that I might keep the D300 around to scratch my DLSR itch - but that the Fujifilm X-E2 would be my main system. Well, I didn't - keep it, that is. Upon reflection, I couldn't really justify having the gear just sitting around for when I might want to use it one day. So it's also gone.

Motukeikei Beach, Low tide. Fuji X-E2 with Fujinon 16-50mm XC. f/11 @ 1/5th sec, ISO 800
This left me with the Fujifilm X-E1 - the body that kicked of this whole love affair to begin with - and the X-E2, the 'upgraded' model with a few extra bells and whistles. I outlined this dilemma in this post, concluding that the X-E2 was the 'practical' choice over the X-E1, since it does offer a few helpful software related tweaks over the X-E1. I've since followed through with this decision, and now the X-E1 is also gone (along with the Fujinon 16-50mm XC lens).

So as it stands today, as I write this, I literally just have the X-E2 body left. Nothing else. Not even a lens! Although a lens is coming. With all this selling, I've got a tidy sum together to blow on a lens - right!? So what am I getting? The Fujinon XF 18-55mm f2.8-4 maybe? Or, what about really splurging on the Fujinon XF16-55mm f2.8! I could probably afford one. Oh, I know. Let's really make use of the X-E2's small form factor and get a couple of primes. The 23mm f2 and 35mm f2 maybe?

Nope. Haven't gone for any of those. What I've done, instead, is get another Fujinon 16-50mm XC f3.5-5.6 - plastic fantastic kit lens! I kid you not. Am I crazy? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm actually going to write a post about this lens soon, so stay tuned for my reasoning's to stick with the 'inferior' XC lens lineup.

The lens should arrive soon, along with a grip attachment for the X-E2, and then my 'kit' will be complete (for a while). It will feel a little strange just having one camera body though. I've had the 'back-up' body mentality for such a long time, I may have to relent and get another X-E2? Maybe an all black one to go along with the black and silver I have at the moment? And then again, there is a black X-E1 body going very cheaply online at the moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on this post. I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks again
Wayne