Thursday 6 November 2014

Hang on. That's not a 1D!

Well, what a difference a day makes.

In my last post I wrote excitedly about my purchase of the Canon 1D MkII, gave all my reasons for going that way, and even started forming a lens buying strategy.

But I also mentioned how unsure I was about the fairly high shutter count of the body I had purchased - especially since it turned out to be quite a bit higher than the buyer had originally suggested.

I slept on the decision overnight - tossed and turned a bit - and in the morning, decided that I really wasn't comfortable with the shutter life left, and pulled out of the deal. I'm happy to report that it ended amicably, with both parties in agreement and keen to get on in other directions.

So for me, what direction was there left to take?

My experience at the Street racing recently rekindle my love affair with Canon through the 50D. Even though I was using a very well-used model, it functioned perfectly and was a joy to shoot with. It had everything I wanted (frame rate, weather resistance, solid feel, great autofocus), and nothing that I didn't (movie mode, touch screen, blah, blah, blah).

So yes, a mint condition (low shutter count) Canon EOS 50D is the way I've now gone. And I'm just as excited about it as I was about owning the 1D.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I am bummed that I don't own a pro series 1D. I was really looking forward to it. But I also had several nagging doubts and really do feel that the 50D is the better fit for me personally.

Its 6.3fps was more than enough for the street racing and the autofocus was almost always dead on. The only thing that really let me down were the old batteries, but of course I plan on fixing that with a few new ones.

I have a 50D turning up any day now (hoping that it arrives before the weekend since I have a camera club field trip to go on), and once I've sold my Pentax K10D's, I'll pick up a few more accessories/lenses for it. The first thing I'll probably opt for is the vertical grip. I almost always get one for whatever camera I own, since I shoot a lot in portrait orientation, and enjoy the extra bulk/weight and shooting power they offer.

I already have a (borrowed) Canon EF-S 10-20mm ultra-wide angle, and the EF-S 18-55mm kits lens I picked up for free at our last photography club evening (yay). So I think the next lens I get will actually be the EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro lens. I like the fact that macros do 'double-duty', working as reasonably fast short telephotos as well for portraiture. So you get two lenses in one!

Not sure if I'll pick up a Canon speedlite for it as well, or try out the Yongnuo flash I had with the Pentax (I think it will work with the Canon as well)? If I don't get a flash, I might have enough money to get a Canon E 70-300mm IS USM too? Have to sell my Pentax's first though!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on this post. I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Thanks again
Wayne